E-Pustakalaya is an education-focused free and open digital library containing full-text documents, thousands of books, images, educational videos, audio-books, reference materials, and interactive learning software .
E-Pustakalaya is accessible on the Internet at www.pustakalaya.org. It can also be installed in low power servers and deployed in schools and community libraries that either do not have Internet connectivity or have low bandwidth connection. Such local instances of E-Pustakalaya will enable better user experience through fast access and quick downloads. To provide easy access to books in E-Pustakalaya, OLE Nepal has also launched a mobile application which can be freely downloaded from Google play store. The mobile app will give our users unique experience in terms of ease and convenience in reading books anywhere they prefer.
E-Pustakalaya is designed and created for:
For students: OLE Nepal started the development of E-Pustakalaya in 2008 with the Providing free and easy access to age-appropriate books will help improve children’s reading skills and develop a reading culture in schools. The reference materials help students do research projects and for promoting the habit of independent inquiry.
For teachers: Teachers can benefit widely from various teaching resources and educational materials in core subjects as well as various other subjects such as agriculture, health, environment, and technology.
For Community: The communities around the schools can also access the content on the digital library. The audio-visual content on health, livelihood and agriculture can be of great benefit to the community members. Those with personal devices can also download the books to read later.
Key Characteristics of E-Pustakalaya
- Free access to all the content
- Browse, Search & Link facilities
- Offline servers allow fast and easy access in places without Internet connectivity
- Multiple readers can access the same item simultaneously, which can be very useful for teachers who want to assign the same reading to all their students.
Materials in E-Pustakalaya
- Language and Arts: Adult and childrens’ literature in Nepali, English and other Nepali languages, along with books and materials on different art forms, movements and artists, and childrens’ arts and crafts materials.
- Course-related materials: School textbooks, supplementary readings by grade and subject, and interactive learning software.
- Reference materials: Dictionary, school wikipedia, maps, atlas, government documents
- General educational materials: Awareness building and advocacy related materials on topics such as agriculture, health, environment, civic duties, disaster preparedness, etc.
- Teaching support materials: National curriculum, teaching manuals, teacher training materials, supplementary readings.
- Newspaper & magazines: Copies of various educational newspaper and magazines
Users of E-Pustakalaya can browse through these six major sections looking for items they like, or they can search for specific items based on full or partial author name, title, publisher and/or keywords. Users can also link to similar items based on author, publisher or keywords through a single click. Users can read books and documents, view videos, listen to audio clips, play educational games directly from E-Pustakalaya, and in the case of books and documents, download and store for later viewing.
Our sources and supporters
OLE Nepal has sought and received permissions from authors, publishers and organizations to add the materials that are found in E-Pustakalaya. Contributing partners include NESCHIL (Nepalese Society for Childrens’ Literature), Room to Read Nepal, the British Council, Madan Puraskaar Pustakalaya, Rato Bangla Kitab, World Education, Save the Children, Practical Action, Azim Premji Foundation, E-Learning for Kids, and Gorkhapatra Sansthan. The use of the materials in E-Pustakalaya is governed by Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution-Non Commercial-Share Alike copyright licenses.
A panel consisting of prominent Nepali writers advice in the development of E-Pustakalaya. Nepal Library Foundation, a Canada-based organization, has been supporting OLE Nepal with E-Pustakalaya development since 2009.
If you want to help us with resource materials,
If you want to install E-Pustakalaya in your school,